Call for works: Studiolab's dialogue with biology hosted in the Ars Electronica Biolab.
A team of researchers working in bio-comms have just received what can only be described as an archaic communication method, a letter...
We have to talk.
Let's just say that our relationship has been a bit challenging lately. We've had some ups and downs for sure, the ups of global temperatures and carbon in the atmosphere, and the downs such as the variety of species still sharing our planet.
As you know, I'm a bit concerned about our future. Take this whole area of synthetic biology for example. You say that you understand, that you care, but just because you've sequenced a few bits and pieces doesn't mean you can read me like an open book. Sometimes it feels like I'm just another one of your machines. Is that it? Do you just want to engineer me?
These "synthetic" organisms you're playing with, what are they going to be when they grow up? A bit of give and take wouldn't hurt sometimes, not always you you you. My clock is ticking and I really need some commitment from you, what's your long term plan? Do you even have one?
Life on Earth
Open Call Exhibition
Open Call SPHÆRÆ
During the past decade, high-resolution satellite images of Earth have made apparent humanity’s impact on our planet’s biodiversity and overall health. Before humans choose to re-envision the biosphere through the astounding prism of synthetic biology, they should first deepen their understanding of living matter. With the same powerful tools used by synthetic biologists, a new approach should be fostered, which strives less towards an anthropocentric narrative, and more towards a harmonious return to a bio-diverse, evergreen garden of the Solar System.
The results of the open call will become part of a program presented over the course of 3 evenings at Ars Electronica. During the day, we would like to offer Sphæræ as a locus for Studiolab presentations/activities.
- Applicant Name
- Project title
- 300 word description of project
- Project Image, a sketch, photo of finished work
- Status of work: proposal / finished work / proof of concept
- Brief budget estimate: 3-4 lines, fees/transport/materials
- Studiolab Partner (use the comments field to nominate your Studiolab partner, and the status of your project).
- URL featuring recent projects
- Optional documentation (an optional pdf or doc file with more details about your project)
Submission form: The submission form will open 18th February, and close 9th April 2013 at midnight CET.
- Artistic or Scientific Merit
- Calibre of the project team
- Suitability to the topic
- Communication/education/dialogue value
- Technical and logistical feasibility
- Status of the work (new work, completed work, in progress)
- Studiolab partner as collaborator
Notification of Selected projects
Selected projects will be announced in April 2013. Applicants will receive notification by email.